Fuse box consumer Unit Installation London

What is an 18th edition Consumer unit?

The 18th Edition Consumer Unit has been designed and tested to meet the requirements of BS 7671, ensuring its safety and compliance with the most recent industry standards. To ensure the safety of the electrical system and to reduce the risk of electrical accidents and fires, it is critical to use a consumer unit that meets these standards. 

Furthermore, using an 18th Edition Consumer Unit can help to protect your home or business from electrical damage and financial loss. It can also help to improve the efficiency and dependability of your electrical system, giving you peace of mind as well as added convenience, but most importantly it can save lives by providing better protection and faster disconnection times in the event of a fault 

Any home or business looking to upgrade their electrical system should consider purchasing an 18th Edition Consumer Unit. This cutting-edge unit meets the most recent industry standards and regulations, ensuring the safety and dependability of your electrical system. It is intended to distribute power effectively and efficiently, making it suitable for use in a wide range of applications. The 18th Edition Consumer Unit is an excellent choice if you want to improve the functionality of your home or office or simply ensure that your electrical system is up to date.

What happens when a new consumer unit installation is completed?

Installation of a new consumer unit is notifiable work therefore on completion all circuits will be tested and an Electrical Installation certificate will be produced that will be registered with your local building control. Depending on the condition of the installation itself the EIC may have an expiry date of up to 10 years but it is important to know if the property is later let to tenants the next inspection should be carried out no later than 5 years from the date of issue

What is the cost of New Consumer Unit Installation or Replacement?

New consumer unit Installation cost depends on a number of factors such as:

Domestic or Commercial 

Number of Circuits

Number of outlets 

Type and Brand of the Consumer Unit

Supply cables (may need upgrading)

Use of RCD/MCB or RCBOs

Our competitive rates start from £280 + VAT for a two way garage consumer unit. Contact us today for a free bespoke quote. 

RCD Consumer Unit Installation:

Installing an RCD protected consumer unit in your home is crucial for providing an extra layer of safety against electrical hazards. We specialise in RCD consumer unit installations incorporating the latest technology to enhance your home’s electrical safety. 

Tailored to your needs: RCD consumer units can be tailored to your home’s specific electrical needs with different types of RCDs available to protect various circuits and devices. This ensures comprehensive protection against electrical hazards throughout your property.

Faster response time: Modern RCDs are designed to react quickly to electrical faults, disconnecting the power supply within milliseconds. This rapid response helps prevent severe electrical shocks, minimises the risk of electrical fires and can help save lives

Regular testing made easy: RCD consumer units typically feature built in test buttons, making it simple for homeowners or tenants to periodically check the functionality of their RCDs. Regular testing ensures that your property’s electrical protection remains reliable and effective

Adaptability to electrical upgrades: As you add new appliances or technologies to your home an RCD consumer unit can be easily adjusted to accommodate these changes. This adaptability ensures that your electrical system remains up to date and protected

Professional installation and support: Our team of skilled electricians will guide you through the entire RCD consumer unit installation process, from selecting the appropriate unit for your home to providing post installation certification, registration, support and advice. We’re committed to ensuring that your home’s electrical system is safe, reliable and compliant with all relevant regulations

Plastic Consumer Unit Replacement:

Over the years, electrical safety regulations have evolved and older plastic consumer units are now considered outdated and potentially unsafe. The primary reason for concern is their increased risk of fire. This risk arises from the plastic material’s inability to contain fires that may occur within the unit due to electrical faults, loose connections or overloaded circuits. During an EICR inspection a plastic consumer unit may be flagged up as a potentially non-conformance and marked as a C3 but this does not obligate the property owner to have to change these units if there are no signs of damage or potential hazards. New 18th edition requirements state these units should now be replaced with metal clad consumer units when required to upgrade or when damaged.

Replacing your plastic consumer unit with a new, metal-clad unit offers numerous benefits:

Enhanced fire safety: Metal clad consumer units are more effective at containing fires should one break out within the unit. The metal enclosure is designed to prevent the spread of flames and minimise damage to surrounding areas

Compliance with regulations: Upgrading to a metal clad consumer unit ensures that your electrical system meets the latest safety standards including the 18th Edition of the Wiring Regulations (BS 7671). These standards require that all new consumer units be made of non-combustible material such as metal

Improved electrical safety: A new metal-clad consumer unit will come equipped with updated safety devices, such as miniature circuit breakers (MCBs) and residual current devices (RCDs) or Residual Current Circuit Breakers with Overcurrent protection (RCBOs). These devices provide better protection against electrical faults, reducing the risk of electric shocks and electrical fires

Easier maintenance and inspection: A modern metal-clad consumer unit typically offers better organisation and labelling of circuits making it easier for electricians to maintain, inspect and troubleshoot your electrical system

SPD consumer units 

Surge Protection Device (SPD) consumer units are designed to protect your home’s electrical system and sensitive electronic devices from voltage spikes or surges. These surges can be caused by lightning strikes, power grid fluctuations, or large electrical loads turning on and off within your home.

An SPD consumer unit includes surge protection devices built into the unit, offering an added layer of safety compared to standard consumer units.

SPD consumer units offer enhanced protection for your electrical system and devices, safeguarding them from voltage surges and reducing the risk of damage, malfunction, and premature failure. This, in turn, extends the life of your appliances and electronics. By preventing voltage surges from reaching your electrical system, SPD consumer units also help reduce the risk of electrical fires caused by overheating or damage to wiring and insulation. In some regions, electrical safety regulations require surge protection, so installing an SPD consumer unit ensures compliance with these requirements.

When changing your consumer unit, it is essential to consider the installation of Surge Protection Devices (SPDs) to safeguard your electrical system and equipment from the potentially damaging effects of transient over voltages. We offer surge protection solutions which prioritise safety, adhere to Section 443 BS 7671 – Protection Against Overvoltage and provide protection against overvoltages that could lead to serious injury, loss of human life, failure of a safety service, or significant financial or data loss.

Our tailored protection approach offers Type 2 SPDs for most installations, ensuring optimal security for your distribution boards during a consumer unit change. For specific circumstances or lightning-prone areas, we also provide Type 1 devices for enhanced protection. 

We can evaluate your electrical system and equipment to determine the precise level of protection required for your unique situation. Investing SPDs not only ensures the safety of your electrical system but also helps minimise the risk of costly damages to your wiring, equipment, and property resulting from overvoltage events. 

Garage Consumer Unit Installation:

A garage consumer unit installation is crucial for managing the unique electrical requirements of a garage, whether detached or attached to your home. This dedicated consumer unit ensures that your garage’s electrical system is safely separated from your home’s main electrical supply, providing a range of benefits

A garage consumer unit also helps in managing the electrical circuits specific to your garage, including circuits for lighting, power outlets, and dedicated equipment like electric vehicle charging stations or workshop tools

By separating the garage’s electrical system from the main house supply it enhances safety and protection, containing potential electrical faults or hazards within the garage and minimising the risk of affecting the main house’s electrical system. This separation also ensures compliance with building regulations which may require a separate consumer unit for detached garages 

Garage specific consumer units offer flexibility in expanding or modifying your garage’s electrical system without impacting the main house electrical system which is particularly useful when adding more electrical sockets, lighting or equipment. A dedicated garage consumer unit also allows for more precise energy management and monitoring of electrical usage helping identify opportunities for energy saving improvements and reducing overall consumption. Additionally, a separate consumer unit for your garage simplifies maintenance and troubleshooting, making it easier for an electrician to work on issues specific to the garage’s electrical system

What other electrical consumer unit related services do you provide?


Electrical Installation Condition Report formerly known as periodic Inspection Report is a certificate outlining the condition of the electrical installation within a property and any potential or existing hazards. An EICR is a legal requirement for rental properties in the UK and may be required if you are selling your home.

PAT Testing:

Portable appliance testing (PAT) is the label used for inspection and testing of electrical appliances and equipment to ensure they are safe to use and clear of any hazards. Majority of  electrical safety issues can be found by visual inspection but some types of defects can only be found by testing. Using the correct calibrated PAT testing equipment.


Electrical wiring, like any other material, wears and deteriorates over time. This creates faults, tripping and possible risk of fire. This deterioration or the new requirements of a modern property may mean the entire installation may require upgrading or rewiring.

Electric Cooker Installation:

Installation of a free-standing electric cooker, upgrading the supply cable and installing a cooker switch if required. 

Fusebox Consumer Units:

Replacing a faulty consumer unit or upgrading an existing fusebox to the latest 18th edition  consumer units.

Electric Hob Installation:

Installation of built in electric hobs, upgrading the supply cable and installing a cooker switch if required. 

Electric Oven Installation:

Installation of single or double built in electric ovens, upgrading the supply cable and installing a cooker switch if required. 

Carbon Monoxide Detector: 

Installation of mains powered Carbon Monoxide Detectors. A device that monitors and detects Carbon Monoxide leakage from a gas appliance or gas boiler. Whilst not a legal requirement for a modern gas boiler installation, it is an advisable and low cost precautionary measure. Installation of wireless and wired carbon monoxide detectors

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a fusebox or consumer unit and why do I need to change it?

A fusebox, also known as a consumer unit, is a box that houses all of a home’s main electrical fuses. It is in charge of distributing electricity to all of the circuits in a house, and it also has a main switch that allows you to turn off all power in an emergency. If your fusebox or consumer unit is old, damaged, or does not meet current safety standards, it should be replaced.

How do I know if I need to change my fusebox or consumer unit?

There are a few indicators that your fusebox or consumer unit needs to be replaced. These are some examples: 

Your fusebox is more than 20-30 years old. 

Your fusebox has been damaged or shows signs of wear. 

Your fusebox lacks RCD (residual current device) protection for the occupants. 

You frequently have electrical issues or power outages. 

You are upgrading your home’s electrical circuits or appliances.

Can I change my fusebox or consumer unit myself or do I need an electrician?

This is the job of a qualified electrician, it is complicated and potentially dangerous to install a consumer unit. The risk of serious injuries or even death increases when you try to connect your new consumer unit to the incoming supply. In addition this work is notifiable which means it has to be registered with your local authority, that means installing a consumer unit should only be carried out by competent and qualified electricians registered to a registration body who also have up to date training and knowledge of the latest regulations. 

How long does it take to change a fusebox or consumer unit?

The time it takes to replace a fusebox or consumer unit is determined by the size or complexity of the job and the number of circuits. In general installing a consumer unit can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day.

Can I upgrade my fusebox or consumer unit to a newer model?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade your fusebox or consumer unit to a newer model (currently 18th Edition). This can be a good option if your current fusebox is old or not up to current safety standards, unless your current setup is unsafe you are under no legal obligation to do so.

What types of fuseboxes or consumer units are there?

There are several types of fuseboxes or consumer units available, including: 

Standard fuseboxes: These are the most basic fuseboxes, and they use fuses to protect your home’s circuits. These do not provide adequate protection for the end user and where possible should be upgraded.

Circuit breaker fuseboxes: These fuseboxes protect your home’s circuits by using circuit breakers rather than fuses. They are generally thought to be more dependable than standard fuseboxes. 

RCD Protected Consumer Units:  include a residual current device (RCD) that protects against electrical shock and reduces the risk of fires caused by electrical problems. These can be a single RCD or split dual RCD unit that allow you to have the use of some of the circuits in the event of a fault and one of the RCDs trip. 

RCBO protected Consumer Units: Unlike an RCD unit where several circuits are protected by a single RCD, RCBOs are allocated to each individual circuit therefore a fault within a particular circuit only trips that circuit alone.

Smart Consumer: These are advanced fuseboxes that allow you to monitor and control the electricity usage in your home via a smartphone app or web interface. They are also able to notify you of a circuit tripping, e.g. if you are away from home. Whilst not very common they may become more popular in the UK

Can I add extra circuits to my fusebox or consumer unit?

It is possible to add additional circuits to your fusebox or consumer unit, but it is generally recommended that you consult with a qualified electrician first. Adding extra circuits can increase the electrical load on your home’s wiring, so make sure your home’s electrical system can handle the additional load. A qualified electrician can evaluate your home’s electrical system and recommend the best course of action for adding additional circuits.

Can I install a fusebox or consumer unit in a different location in my home?

It is possible to relocate a fusebox or consumer unit within your home, but it can depend on a number of factors such as access and suitability. Moving a fusebox or consumer unit is a complex and potentially dangerous task, and it is critical to ensure that the new location is safe and complies with all applicable electrical codes and regulations.

Can I install a fusebox or consumer unit in a garage or shed?

It is generally possible to install a fusebox or consumer unit in a garage or shed, but the location must be safe and meet all applicable electrical codes and regulations such as protection against the weather. Before installing a fusebox or consumer unit in a garage or shed, it is also a good idea to consult with a qualified electrician, as the installation process can be complicated and may necessitate additional wiring or other changes to your home’s electrical system.

Do I need to get permission from my landlord to change my fusebox or consumer unit?

If you are a tenant in a rented property, you must usually obtain permission from your landlord before making any changes to the electrical system, such as changing the fusebox or consumer unit. 

How do I choose the right fusebox or consumer unit for my home?

It is critical to consider the size and electrical needs of your home, as well as any additional features or capabilities you may require, when selecting a fusebox or consumer unit for your home. To determine the best fusebox or consumer unit for your home, it is usually best to consult with a qualified electrician.

Can I change my fusebox or consumer unit if I have an old or outdated electrical system?

It may be possible to change your fusebox or consumer unit if you have an old or outdated electrical system, but it is generally best to consult with a qualified electrician before doing so. An old or outdated electrical system may require additional work or modifications in order to accommodate a new fusebox or consumer unit. A qualified electrician will be able to assess your home’s electrical system and determine the best course of action for changing your fusebox or consumer unit.

Can I change my fusebox or consumer unit if I live in a listed building?

If you live in a historic building, changing your fusebox or consumer unit may be more difficult. Listed buildings are legally protected and must maintain their historical character and features. As a result, before making any changes to a listed building’s electrical system, it is usually necessary to obtain permission from the local council. Before changing a fusebox or consumer unit in a listed building, it is critical to consult with a qualified electrician and then obtain the necessary approvals from local authority or national heritage.

Do plastic Consumer units need replacing?

If you have a consumer unit in your property with a plastic casing it does not have to be changed unless it is damaged. All replacement and new consumer units are now required to be metal cased by law for fire safety reasons, but you are not required to replace yours to metal by law until the time it requires upgrading or replacing.

Contact Us